The constant buzzing of fruit flies, especially around food can be very annoying, but have you ever wondered what health hazards are associated with these tiny creatures?
Fruit flies can be a great nuisance. They spread and transfer germs from a dirty surface onto a clean one. Some of the bacteria they may carry include salmonella, E. coli, and listeria.
These messy little flies are not easy to get rid of.
Fruit flies are usually attracted to fermenting fruit and vegetables in your home, but little cleaning and organizing around the house will help you to have a fly-free place in no time!
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Yourself at Home
1- Use a Chemical Remedy
- Pt alpine pressurized fly bait: It is used in commercial, residential, industrial buildings, and other manmade structures. Its target is pests, especially house flies, fruit flies, and flesh flies. It knockdown these flies for up to 30 days.
- Ecosmart Flying Insect Killer: It is a safe and effective way to get rid of flies. It is 100% organic and so totally safe to use in your houses.
- Eco Defense Fruit Fly Trap: It’s is a non-toxic chemical that generates a scent of natural blend to lure the flies. You simply need to pour some of this chemical in a wide bowl and let it sit there and do the task for you! It also offers a free trial usage of 60 days and if you think it’s not effective, you can have all your money back!
2- Make Use of Rotten Fruit to Get Rid of Fruit Flies
If you aren’t okay with using chemicals to get rid of fruit flies, you can use simple DIY methods too!
One such way is to use rotten fruit to shoo away these flies.
Instead of throwing away rotten fruit, put it in a plastic container, cover it with clear wrap and poke holes, making way for the Fruit flies. The strong smell will attract the flies in this trap and then you can simply dispose it off.
3- Use Traps to Get Rid of Fruit flies in the House
Traps are also very useful in getting rid of these annoying fruit flies. Some of the best traps include the Bottle trap and Apple Cider Vinegar trap to get rid of fruit flies on your own.
- The Bottle Trap
You can use any old bottle to make this fly trap at home. All you need is a used cold drink bottle, some fruit pieces and a wire to hang the trap.
- Cut the upper half of the bottle and keep aside.
- Put fruits in the other half.
- Place the upper half of the bottle back, but upside down.
- Punch holes at two sides to put the wire and hang it near a window.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Trap
For this trap, you’ll need a jar, a piece of paper, and apple cider vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar has a very strong smell that attracts insects and flies.
- Fill half of the jar with apple cider vinegar.
- Add a few drops of dish soap into it.
- Roll the sheet of paper to make it like a funnel.
- Place the rolled sheet in the jar.
- Place the jar in an area where you’ve seen fruit flies.
- The fruit flies will enter the jar through the paper funnel.
- The wings of fruit flies will get wet in the Vinegar and they’d be trapped in the jar.
4- Get Rid of Fruit Flies With Vinegar
The White Vinegar Trap is an effective way for getting rid of these fruit flies.
For this type of trap, you’ll need a jar, white vinegar, and plastic wrap.
- Pour some white vinegar into the jar and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Make small holes on the wrap so the smell spreads around.
- After a while poke a larger hole, making way for the flies to enter the jar.
- Once the flies follow the smell and enter the jar, they can’t find their way out, eventually dying inside the container.
5- Hire professionals
Sometimes DIY isn’t enough. If you’ve got a greater problem of fruit flies on your hand, don’t hesitate to contact the professionals.
Professionals are useful especially for working people as DIY gets tricky when do much is already on the plate.
Households with younger children should also avoid using traditional ways to get rid of the fruit flies. Instead, hire professional help and let them do the job for you!
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies With Hydrogen Peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide is a colorless liquid used for cleaning and personal care purpose.
To use hydrogen peroxide for flies, pour it down your drain and get rid of these buzzing creatures. But having fruit flies doesn’t mean you have a dirty house, just that there is some small place that needs cleaning.
What Causes Fruit Flies in the House and in the Kitchen?
Rotten and leftover food lying around the kitchen attracts fruit flies. Crumbs of food lying around the house, sweet-smelling candies, and uncleaned drains not only lure these flies into the house, but it also provides them a place for nesting.
Frequently Asked questions
How long until fruit flies go away?
Fruit flies life span varies between 3 – 4 weeks. But if an adult one dies, there’s a possibility that it has left behind its eggs around your house.
What is the fastest way to get rid of fruit flies?
Chemical sprays kill the fruit flies immediately and so are the fastest way to get rid of fruit flies.
What scent keeps fruit flies away?
Fruit flies can’t stand the smell of lavender, peppermint, clove, and lemongrass so these scents can keep the flies away.
Are fruit flies bad for my health?
Fruit flies are responsible for spreading germs and bacteria like salmonella, E. coli, and listeria which cause food poisoning, and in some cases, it can be critical and life-threatening.